Here´s a useful message from Bray Garda about securing your home and property including bicycles and cars. Don´t forget to send this link to others. For information about the new locked bicycle storage units at Diamond Valley, check out this post:
Message from Bray Garda
You will be glad to hear that based on data from 2004 to 2010, there has been a 16% drop in residential burglaries during the summer months nationally.
- 27% of all burglaries occur through the front door.
- 32% of burglars enter your home through an unsecured door or window.
- 37% of burglars enter through poorly secured doors and windows.
- 23.5% of all burglaries take place between 12pm and 4pm.
- Thursday and Friday are the most likely days on which to be burgled.
Lock your doors and windows, sounds simple, but the data tells us we are not locking our front doors or rear windows. 1 in 3 burglaries could have been prevented by this simple action.
A quarter of all burglaries occur during the afternoon and we have had issues with some of front door locks being barrel popped see here for more info on how to secure your doors
Last summer we had some issues with vacant houses being targeted while away for long weekends or summer holidays so please let us know if the house will be vacant so we can monitor it and before you go you:
If possible leave a key with a neighbour in case the alarm is accidentally activated
Arrange for a neighbour or relative to collect your mail or use Mailminder from An Post.
Make full use of light timing devices and do not have curtains drawn during the day time. You can buy sets of three timers quite cheaply in Woodies etc Your neighbour may also oblige with this duty.
Please don’t leave your house in darkness with all the curtains drawn.
We are noticing trends with regard to bike theft it is increasing dramatically around the Bray area, with all makes and types being targetted so please take care of of your bikes and please report all stolen bikes.
- 2011 to date has seen thefts of pedal cycles increase far above the previous average.
- Thefts of pedal cycles are highly seasonal with crimes increasing as the year progresses towards October.
- Bicycles are most often stolen in between 3pm and 11pm
Simple but Effective Bicycle Theft Prevention Advice:
- Keep your bicycle in a secure location; avoid leaving bicycles, even for short periods, unattended in driveways, etc. Use a good quality lock and always secure your bike to an immovable object, ensuring frame and wheels are locked.
- Keep a written record of the make, model and frame number. Take and store a coloured photograph of the bicycle.
- Security mark your bicycle in at least two separate places, clearly visible and not capable of being removed. Consider placing a sticker warning that your bicycle is security marked. For very valuable bicycles consider an electronic tracking device inserted within the frame.
- For further information on bicycle security visit www.garda.ie
Lastly we have ongoing operations in the Wicklow Uplands and around our beauty spots as these areas are being targetted for car theft so please do not leave valuables in cars when out walking over the weekends during the summer months. Sunday is the most likely day to have your car broken into.
regards John FitzPatrick and the Community Policing team Bray